The Automatic Attitudinal Response is a real issue I have
come to find with myself. As I have just finished dissecting all of the
information I have posted about throughout the semester on my blog, there have
been several occasions where I found obvious barriers within my own thought. It’s
really weird to think of actually, and it has definitely opened my eyes.
The example I would like to present is with my Racism 2.0
post. While I didn’t make a very good argument for myself to begin with, I found
multiple barriers to my thinking. The argument I made in this post was
basically explaining how “people aren’t as racist as we think” and that we perceive
people more based on how they represent themselves (ie. “thugs”, “hippies”,
etc.).
I wrote, “Self-presentation is probably more of an
influential "quick-to-judge" feature than the color of someone's
skin in today's society… We may be far past being an anti-racist society, which
is likely an impossible Utopia, but we certainly have made strides in a more
reasonable direction toward equality”.
I now see this entire post as a hidden assumption. When I
first thought about writing about racism, the first thing that came across my
mind was, “I’m not a racist”. I wrote my entire post on the hidden assumption
that that is how I felt; that I believe all people are equal and racism doesn’t
exist in my eyes. This was my perception growing up in a middle-class, white,
Christian family in a small farming community. I expected everyone would have
this same perception as me and I made my argument with the hidden assumption
that this was the case. The truth is, because of how I was raised, ethnocentrism
is a part of who I am. I went to high school with as many African-American kids
as I can count on one hand. I know nothing about racism. I saw them as equal. They
were treated like every other white kid in my school. It was part of the
culture I grew up with and that yields my ethnocentric behavior and feelings
about how I perceive my life; this making my post about racism entirely flawed.
Another example
throughout my writing was an automatic attitudinal response I had with my OTM-
Zika Virus post. I wrote, ”Every time I see news of some sort of virus coming
to America, it seems as though it is a blown out-of-proportion frenzy by the
media to "warn" us; just like
Ebola. Once I saw that this was about yet another virus, I immediately
stereotyped it, just like I'm sure others have. It's a taboo really; I know of
zero people personally who had any sort of connection with Ebola, just as this
is the first time I've even heard about the Zika Virus”.
I think in this situation I already recognized the automatic
attitudinal response that I held. I judged the Zika Virus and was immediately
skeptical when I first even saw the word “virus”. What made me think this? Why
was I conditioned to think like this? I think the primary reason I was
skeptical is obviously from the Ebola issue in America. But furthermore, I
think it’s because I didn’t really think twice about it. What I mean by that is
I was more skeptical of me ever getting the virus than the virus actually existing
itself. From the egocentric culture I have been around my entire life, there
was no way I could get the “Zika Virus”. I have been conditioned my entire life
to not worry about anything like this; to the point where the virus seems fake
to me. It is not surprising to me that I had this immediate reaction towards
the Zika Virus, and I certainly recognize it now.
No comments:
Post a Comment